Atlas Model Trains:
Whether you are just getting started in model railroading, an avid collector, or building the layout of your dreams, Atlas has something you need. While many companies excel at specializing in one scale or product line, Atlas offers complete lines in N, HO and O scales including everything from track templates to structures.
Atlas has been supplying hobbyists since 1940. The company began with HO track and has now hosts diverse lines in three scales for a variety of skill and price levels. All share the same reputation of quality that has defined the company for over 60 years. Don't let its old age fool you; Atlas stays on the cutting edge of the hobby.
With so much available, it can be helpful to look at the company through some of the individual product lines.
- Availability: High-end locomotive and cars are made on limited production runs. Reruns (usually with different numbers or paint variations) often follow within a few years. Common items like track are always available. This offers the best for the builder and the collector.
Atlas products can be found at nearly every hobby shop, and online retailer. If your local shop doesn't have what you need, they can probably get it for you.
- Variety: Atlas offers a diverse product line from modern diesels to freight cars from the 1920s. Their products also range in detail and price, but don't mistake cheaper for lesser quality.
- Price: Freight cars can be found for between $10 and $30. Most track pieces, are around $10. Top-of-the-line locomotives with DCC and sound run between $200 and $300, others list for as low as $70. All are an excellent value and compare favorably with other brands.
- Quality: Atlas has a long-standing reputation for quality, especially its locomotive and track products. Less-expensive models use the same motors, gears, and engineering as the more expensive lines. Atlas locomotives and track are trusted by many clubs, museums and public displays for their reliability and longevity.
- Support: Atlas offers one of the strongest product support lines of any manufacturer. Most features can be found on their website. Printed books are also available, including idea books with track plans with detailed parts lists. Should you need repair work, their product line will be familiar to most hobby shops that offer such services.
- Total Package: Atlas offers everything you need to get started under one roof. Since products confirm to standards set by the industry and the ,National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) they will work with all other products of the same scale too.