A marketing debacle in the late 1950s, the Lionel Girls' Model Train Set is a sought-after collectors item today.
Should a Girl's Train Be Different?In 1957 Lionel came up with the bright idea that model trains could be for girls too. Heedless of the fact that any girl who wanted a model train would want their train to be realistic, just like the boys did, Lionel introduced their now famous Girl's Set, an electric train set in various pastel hues. This was a marketing disaster.
Perfect For a Little Girl's BedroomThe Girls' Set was three-rail O27 electric train set with a pink 2-6-4 steam locomotive and tender. It included a string of the following pastel hued cars:
- Robin's Egg Blue New York Central Pacemaker Boxcar
- Buttercup Yellow Missouri-Kansas-Texas Boxcar
- Pink New York Central Gondola with Barrels
- Lavender Lehigh Valley Hopper
- Pennsylvania Sky Blue Illuminated Caboose